Friday, June 19, 2015

On Fatherhood

I won the lottery of life with the man who is the father of my children.  As I look at this incredible life I have with this incredible partner to walk through life with, I feel nothing but blessed.  Before we married, I didn't know exactly how Peter would react to fatherhood as he had very limited experience with children.  But for some reason he agreed to marry me, knowing full well that I wanted a house full of kids!

What I find so amazing about this guy, is how he values and makes time for his family.  He works very long hours and heads out the door by 5:30 AM each day so that he can get home to the family at a reasonable time.  He walks through the door and plays with the kids and helps around the house until the kids are tucked into their beds and the housework is done.  He never complains either.  

  He was right by my side in the calling of adoption for our family.  I don't know if everyone understands this, but the adoption process makes women, well a little bit crazy!  Our mama hearts are tender during the wait.  But he was by my side and tried to help me as best as he could.  I will never forget those first days of fatherhood with him.  He was nervous going into it, but took to it like a pro and Mal and him bonded in a special way!   He took on way more than his share of the duties as I was quite sick, being in my first trimester at the same time.  I fell more in love with him, watching him fall in love with our son and our son's country! 



I will never forget driving to the hospital after my water broke with Eli.  I was scared and you could tell Peter was a bit nervous too, but he was holding us together.  He was our rock through the moments after Eli was born.  He never hesitated as I was a wreck to take control of the situation.  He was by Eli's side the whole time and I fell more in love with him because of that!  He took such good care of all of our little family in those days!



And then there was the Princess. Who has had her daddy wrapped since the day she was born!  I don't think many men could handle growing as quickly as we grew.  But he has been by my side every step of the way. The days were so hard back when we had 3 babies but we made it through and I owe it all to him for picking up more than his fair share of the responsibilities. 


And then we've grown again since last Father's Day.  Again, I don't understand why he signed up for my crazy, but I'm glad he did.  He never once hesitated when I told him I was ready to adopt again. His love for those who need loved is inspiring.  Not only did I fall more in love with him as he loved our newest daughter, but I fell in love with him as I watched him tenderly show love to her birth mama.


Yeah, my man is pretty impressive!  I am so grateful to go through this life with a man who loves me and loves our children and works diligently to take care of and provide for us.  I love that the first thing all the kids do when they hear the key opening the front door is run to get hugs and kisses because they adore him!  He wrestles and does things with them that I never would, but he also tenderly tucks them into bed at night after reading the Bible, prays over them, and gives them hugs and kisses.  My children fully know a father's love and for that I am grateful!


"He didn’t tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it." ~Clarence Budington Kelland

0 comments: