Friday, June 12, 2015

Days 5 and 6

The last couple of days have been very calm as I have focused on just enjoying some peace and quiet and time to myself.  I've gone out some and today enjoyed just people watching for a bit as I know our time here in Ennis is drawing to a close.  I really like this little city and the small shops and pubs everywhere.  One thing Ireland is not known for is its food, but to be honest I am yet to have a bad meal here.  Everything has been very fresh.  Even the baked goods are so fresh and not nearly as sweet as we are used to in the states. But since I have cut so far back on the sweets at home, I tend to prefer them like this!  Everything has been delicious and I'm going to miss those pastries!

The people here are great.  They are very extroverted in general.  I love being in the heart of Ennis because it seems the vast majority of people out and about during the day are locals!  I've seen for myself how kind they are as they worked to help an elderly gentleman who wasn't moving around to well sit down and get some food in one of the restaurants.  They are still full of manners that seem long forgotten in the states.  Just a very kind and helpful group of people over here. And their wit is some of which I have never seen before!

Peter and I have had a great time here in Ennis.  Sure our room hasn't been the best.  We've grown accustomed to a bed that is far smaller than anything we've ever slept in before.  My days of relaxation and quiet have often been interrupted by overly helpful maid service and a group of men doing construction right outside my window. I've been serenaded to Irish songs and heard a few attempts at American slang out of them. But again, I guess I am just seeing the culture up close and personally.

It has been fun to hear about some of the different customs and traditions over here. The Irish seem very proud of their heritage.  I am still fascinated by how these people can party.  The pubs around here, even on weeknights don't start playing music until after 9:30 and it seems people drag themselves back to their rooms around 2-3 in the morning.  We've also heard stories about weddings that just put ours to shame.  They sound like they are typically 2-3 day events. As one of Peter's coworkers explained. Her wedding started at 2PM and then a 5 or 6 course dinner around 5PM.  Then a band plays until midnight, then a DJ starts up with dancing until around 4 AM. Then you would bring out more food to feed your guests and it would end with breakfast around 7 in the morning, when everyone would go rest for a few hours before starting the the second day of wedding celebration around 2 in the afternoon. This day of partying ends at a bit more civilized time, I think she mentioned between midnight to 2 in the morning!

It has been great fun meeting all of Peter's Irish coworkers and it gives me a little idea of why he loves working over here so much!  They are all very kind and have been more than willing to put themselves out to help us with getting around and sightseeing this week! As Peter wraps up his work week and we pack our bags in preparation of moving to the East coast of Ireland for the remainder of our trip, there is something sweet and special I will miss about this city!  But I am sure, I will be back again someday!

Oh hey, do you want to hear a joke we were told?  Okay, here it is:

An Englishman, a Scott, and an Irishman walked into a pub.
Each ordered a pint of beer.  Then a fly came and landed in each one's beer.
The Englishman, turning slightly green, pushed his beer away and asked for another.
The Scott took the fly out, shrugged, and drank his beer.
The Irishman pinched the fly between his fingers and yelled
"SPIT IT OUT, SPIT IT OUT!!!!"

0 comments: